I will scream it from a mountain top all day long, downsizing and simple living has greatly increased our quality of living in almost every aspect of our lives!
I used to think that the more stuff I had, the more prepared I would for any given situation including cleaning and homemaking.
I used to love my cupboard filled to the brim with cleaning supplies, but since we’ve simplified and also downsized our cleaning supplies I find cleaning so much simpler.
Not only did we get a rid a lot of our cleaning supplies, but we also switched to more natural products like vinegar and green cleaners.
Things we no longer need after downsizing our cleaning supplies:
- Clorox wipes. This was a hard adjustment at first, but overall we cut down on cleaning costs and get by just fine without them.
- Glass cleaner. The bathroom mirrors in our rental home are fairly small and it took us years to go through a bottle of glass cleaner anyways. We now buy a multi-purpose spray that works on windows & mirrors.
- Dusting spray. I honestly never understood dusting spray… now I use a swifter duster combined with a microfiber cloth sprayed with multi-purpose spray and it works great!
- Bleach. I used to be obsessed with my home smelling like bleach meaning it was clean as a whistle, but have since switched to more natural cleaners like vinegar for our clothes and my handy multi-purpose spray which is also antibacterial.
- Fabric softener. Again, i’m not sure why we used this anyways. Our clothes are just as soft and we safe a ton of money and shelf space.
Overall, we transitioned from a cupboard full of cleaning supplies, to just a few natural cleaners that we actually use on a daily basis.